Computer Science is the study of computers and computational methods. Unlike electrical and computer engineers, computer scientists regularly work with software and hardware systems; this covers their ideas, development, design, and application. Computer science is the third most popular major amongst international students coming to the US.
There are numerous reasons why computer science is so popular, including diverse job opportunities across industries, uncommonly high starting salaries, and exceptional job security.
There has never been a better outlook of young computer science students than today. But what is the best field in computer science? Software Engineer is considered the best field in Computer science. Continue reading if you want to know more.
What is a Software Engineer?
Software engineering is a department of computer science that covers the development and building of computer systems software and applications software. Computer systems software is designed for programs that include computing utilities and operations systems. Applications software consists of user-focused programs that cover database programs, web browsers, etc.
Software engineers have great knowledge of software development, programming languages, and computer operating systems, they apply engineering principles to software creation. By applying these engineering principles to every step of the development process, from requirements analysis to the software process, they can create customized systems for different clients. Just as a civil engineer will make sure that a bridge has a stable foundation, a software engineer will also begin with a careful study of requirements and regularly work through the development process.
Software engineers can be divided into two categories:
- Plan software for the end-user to interact with
- Tweak software and release constant updates
- Produce applications for Linux, Android, iOS, Windows, etc
- Behavior requirements analysis
Front-end or back-end?
Who they operate with
– Customer success staff, graphic designers, marketers, and project managers.
- Qualified for both the software and hardware requirements
- Usually work as comprehensive IT managers or systems architects
- Support IT documentation and refresh to new technologies
- Integrate disparate software products into one platform
- Create operating systems and networks for user-facing applications
- Implement and design IT standards
Front-end or back-end?
Who they work with?
-Development teams, senior management, senior systems architects, and data science professionals.
What does it take to be successful as a software engineer?
Tempted by strong employment opportunities, high salaries, and a chance to build things that can change the world, more people than ever are choosing software engineering as a profession choice. Although, succeeding in this career requires more than just high coding ability. The best software engineers bring specific qualities and attribute to the job which makes them stand out from everyone else.
These are the things that you need to have if you want to be successful in software engineer:
- Working well with others
- Letting go of the ego
- Being naturally curious and interested
- Not putting out mediocre work
- Developing soft skills
- Seeing the big picture.
How long will it take to become a Software Engineer?
Well, becoming a professional engineer takes approximately 8 years. The typical education required for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam is four or five years of Bachelors Degree program. If you have four years of industry experience they may sit for the second part of the exam to become a Professional Engineer. A lot of people in this field go on to pursue a Master’s Degree which typically takes another two years to complete.
Software engineer earnings by seniority
- Top-level software engineer earnings begin at:
$75.00 per hour
$155,991 per year.
- Senior-level software engineer earnings begin at:
$58.65 per hour
$121,986 per year.
- Mid-level software engineer earnings begin at:
$92,824 per year.
- Junior-level software engineer earnings begin at:
$70,633 per year.
- Starting level software engineer earnings begin at:
$26.56 per hour
$55,236 per year.
What are some carrier choices for a software engineer?
There are many carrier options for a software engineer but some of them are:
- JuniorWeb Developer
- SoftwareWeb Developer, Sr. Software Web Developer
- Lead software engineer, Technical Architect
- Director, Vice President, Chief Technology Officer
- Development Team Lead, Software Development Manager.